I'm not sure I could be happier about this news, except if someone had also found the leadership to put forth a rational plan that protects and takes care of ordinary citizens before the ultra-rich financiers who built this mess: www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/business/30bailout.html.
What I find so interesting is the continued overwhelming opinion among voters, if the NYT comments area is any indication, that this bailout plan was total nonsense and not at all in the interest of anyone except the heads of financial services firms trying to get away with something. Objections range from the mere fact that it has been cobbled together without any reasonable analysis of its consequences or effectiveness; to the failure to cap salaries and exit packages for financial services executives; to the fact that it does absolutely nothing for the people suffering most from this mess in losing their homes, businesses, jobs, etc.; to the ridiculous vagueness of the oversight on this process; to the lunacy of putting in charge the very people who allowed this to happen in the first place; to the unbelievable debt burden left on American taxpayers ... and the list goes on and on. I've yet to see a reader comment that finds this plan to have any hallmarks of leadership, wisdom, justice, or even good common sense. I can only hope that constituent pressure will continue to keep lawmakers from voting for this piss-poor mish-mash; I am a little worried that the vote was as close as it was.
Also interesting, this related article in the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/business/worldbusiness/23krona.html?em. Sweden's leaders seemed to have their priorities much better aligned than ours in the US.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment