Sunday, June 01, 2008

Project Reunion Update #2 - Success!

I did not end up having to hold any auditions, although I did go through a couple rounds of invitations before making my present arrangements. In a touch of irony, my dinner dance date is a guy I'd deliberately decided not to ask when I started planning for this whole thing; he'd been busy, and seeming less than interested in seeing me socially, so I decided I was tired of extending invitations to him and getting rejected. It seems this was one invitation he finally accepted ... it could be that he's done with his crazy travel schedule, or it could be the free food and booze. I'm trying not to get too excited about the potential for this date.

At the same time, I am excited; I think it got real for me today when I actually bought my dress, which is simple and exotic and elegant and comfortable and very me. The material makes me feel very sexy, and thinking about it keeps conjuring up visions of little romantic interludes in the midst of this social event. I don't think I've ever had a dress affect me quite that way before, but I'm hoping the reaction is at least somewhat shared by my escort!

I also hope I have fun ... I know there will be some folks there who I know well enough to actually have substantive conversations and catch up on their lives, but there's also a lot of that trying to chat with (and remember the names of!) the many other more remote classmates with whom I haven't kept in touch. I do that kind of networking small talk a lot for work and volunteer stuff, but it's also very draining and I have to be in the right mood; if I'm not, I'm kind of a wallflower, and I tend to cling to the people I feel comfortable with, which sometimes makes me feel a little needy. I guess that's another reason why you bring a good date: not only are they a dancing partner, but they're also your conversation backup. Plus, my escort is actually pretty amazing at being that social person just about anywhere I've seen him, so maybe I can let him do all the talking and enjoy myself watching the crowd. :-)

Now the big question - how shall I wear my hair??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long fabulous braids!!

Jenn said...

Send us pictures! It sounds like you will look amazing and have a fabulous time. :)