-- quote from a get-out-the-primary-vote public service
announcement by MA Secretary of State William Galvin
announcement by MA Secretary of State William Galvin
Um, WOW. Bill Galvin's role is usually pretty apolitical, and you'd expect such an ad to be politically neutral ... I was quite surprised to hear so direct a negative reference to the current administration. Apparently there are versions of the ad where this line was removed, but the only one I've seen has the line right in there.
There's been a tiny bit of chat on the internet about the appropriateness of the ad. Although it is very clearly anti-Bush, I don't actually thinks its overall content is skewed towards a particular party; it gives equal mention of both the Republican and Democratic primaries and reminds independents that they can choose to vote in either one. I do think it's probably sitting right on that line between OK and not OK, but I'm not totally put out by it. Mostly I was shocked that Galvin felt strongly enough to include that in his PSA ... but I think it's probably a good motivator for many people, even those who once voted for Bush.

No comments:
Post a Comment