I just finished watching the movie "Amazing Grace," the story of William Wilberforce, the British parlimentarian who brought about the end of the slave trade. Suddenly, I am reinspired - about the potential to do true good through politics, about the role that young people can play in shaping history (Wilberforce's close friend, William Pitt, became Prime Minister at 24!!), and about the fact that a life of hard work and persistent passion, even though it will mean struggles and sacrifices, can actually change the world. It's a small movie about a huge event in Western and world history - sometimes it's easy to forget how incredible a feat was accomplished, and the magnitude of that change that makes my very life right now possible. I am amazed, and moved to keep pursuing the things that have been laid on my heart.
As a sidenote, I want the bagpipe marching band that plays at the end of this movie to do my wedding, or funeral, or something. It's the way Amazing Grace was meant to be played.
(And clearly, I'm still not shifted from vacation hours back to workweek hours. Oy!)
No comments:
Post a Comment