Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?

So, CNN tells me that 4,000 delegates will attend the Democratic convention ... along with 15,000 members of the media. I'd be surprised, but given that CNN has 15 different reporters or commentators doing this Day 3 summary, I can see how those numbers start to get a little crazy. Sheesh!

(Also, whenever I see Paul Begala, I always think of the parody of him that they used to do on SNL.)

I only watched this thing so I could get a better look at Joe Biden and hear him speak. Initially, I turned on the TV I think just before Bill Clinton, but then I turned it right off - not because of Clinton, but because the commentary bored me to tears after only about a minute. This thing is such a production, at least the parts they televise; I would be much more interested in the actual democratic process of the delegates nominating the party representatives and discussing the fine points of the platform than in all this slick speechifying. Yes, it's messy and contentious and you can't always be sure of the outcome ... but that's what makes it real.

Ha! I just saw this new commercial from the McCain campaign, with this former Clinton delegate expressing her support for McCain. And in the middle of the Democratic convention, too; nice touch! I have to say, that was a smart strategic move, even though I totally don't want them to succeed.

Enough of this real news: time for Colbert! :-)

No comments: