Monday, August 04, 2008

Catch as can catch, I guess ...

I feel the need to report on this completely odd habit my youngest cat has taken up over the past few weeks. Before, when he's wandered into my room, he had a couple of favorite spots - on the bed, on the floor in the path between the bedroom and laundry room doors, curled up under the desk chair. But since I got back from the road trip, he started trying out a new watchpost: right in front of the door to my bathroom.

I was greatly perplexed by this choice when I started noticing it - that spot isn't comfy and soft, it isn't cozy and hidden, it doesn't allow him room to stretch out, which he loves to do. What's the attraction? And then I came up with a theory: the bathroom may be the one place where he knows I'll have to go eventually, and where I'll be captive and able to devote the concentrated petting attention he deserves. In terms of being able to get my attention, the toity is a pretty sure bet.

Poor baby - he thinks he has to wait outside my litterbox to find me! :-( I think it's time he and I did a little more bonding.

(Although, speaking of bonding, the other bathroom habit that he's adopted is watching me shower. He's a cat, so it's not creepy; I think he's just perplexed as to why I need all that equipment to accomplish the simple task of bathing. One day, I'll have to explain to him that my spine is much less accommodating.)

No comments: