Thursday, May 08, 2008

Is it possible to just be bad at everything?

First I can't get along with my roommate, then I can't communicate with my board.

So I've wondered before if I was right for my job, given the changes in my role over the past almost-year. That wonder came back with a vengeance this afternoon during a conversation with my outgoing and incoming board presidents. We were talking about expectations, and trying to come up with some way so that we all understand and agree upon what is expected in our various roles and how we work together. It was one of the most frustrating meetings I've had in my whole tenure with this organization - somehow, they're explaining what they want, and I'm trying to respond to what they want, but they are just not getting what they want, and I don't know how to fix it.

It's like they'll say these words, and they're in English, and I swear to you that I understand them, but when I do what I think the words tell me, it is not right. And then they try to explain it again, and I listen, and I say to myself, "But that's exactly what I did!" I don't know how to ask them to say what they're saying differently so that I understand what they want from me. On top of that, I feel like I keep getting conflicting directions that pull in opposite directions from each other; but again, these directions all seem to make sense to the people giving them to me. And they seemed to make perfect sense to the two other people in the conversation today, but I was at a complete loss.

I was also told that I have a tendency to shoot things down rather than welcome them and think about how they can be done. I should be better about coming up with a proposal for how the things being asked of me can be done and who can do them, rather than just saying that they can't be done. And they're right - although I try to be as responsive and positive as I can be, whenever a new proposal gets put forward these days I am often skeptical, and my number one question is, "Who's going to do it?" I was told I should draw on my board more and give them specific tasks that they can accomplish, and think about how we generate the manpower to get whatever we need done.

And I feel so frustrated, because I feel like I keep doing that and offering specific opportunities to participate and things that need doing, but either no one steps up or they step up and then are frustrated later because they feel that too much has been asked of them. And so, yes, I start to get skeptical when yet another initiative is proposed, because I can see down the road how it's all going to end up on my shoulders, and I can't carry all of that load. But again, I don't know if I only think I've been clear about what needs to be done but I really wasn't, or if I just made it sound so unappealing that no one in their right mind would do it, or some other lack in my presentation that I can't pinpoint yet.

All this is to say, just as I started to feel for a moment like my job was returning back to normal and to my being able to enjoy it, I find that there's all this background dissatisfaction with what's going on, and I'm expected to sort out how to resolve it. I suppose that's my job ... but it's also why I'm beginning to feel like maybe it shouldn't be my job anymore.

No comments: