Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The key to depression avoidance

Do not think about what is going on in your life, ever; it only ends in tears. When stuck on public transportation and alone with your thoughts, quickly find something else to do, like reading the paper or playing a video game on your phone. You can also write a wry blog entry about the situation, but be forewarned: sometimes what starts out as a kind of joke ends up as a real reflection on the problem. If at any time you find your wit turning into actual examination, close your blog entry hastily and start playing Solitaire at once. DO NOT begin thinking under any circumstances.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Or, my dear, read Sunday's post and feel grateful. :-)

As an over-thinker myself, though, I have to agree that the longer the introspection, the lower the odds that it will lead to an increase in happiness. (Blessed are the shallow...?)

BB said...

Yeah - what's interesting is that I had my little moment of revelation on Sunday, and then promptly got smacked upside the head by life on Monday. God may listen to me, but He's also really testing me right now. I hope whatever He's doing is worth it, because it totally sucks and I'm not sure how much more of this tough love I'm going to be able to handle.

Jenn said...

What if it's the other way around? Maybe it's not that He's tearing you down after Sunday. Maybe he gave you Sunday because he knew you'd need it now...