- Do your homework, and make sure that it's legal for the person to whom you will be providing services to treat you as a contractor. (If they have control over your hours and how and when you choose to get your work accomplished beyond setting key deadlines, then it is not legal; whether full-time or part-time, you are acting as their employee and they need to pay and protect you as such.)
- Figure out how much you need in take-home pay to live on, and then make sure you are being paid at least one and half times that amount; the extra half will go to your tax liabilities (and your health or other insurance).
- Pay those liabilities quarterly, and pay them all by the end of the calendar year; underpayment penalties suck.
However, the failure in question is not my failure to handle my taxes appropriately. Instead, it has to do with the test that God may have been laying out for me, which I think I totally boffed.
About two weeks ago, I'd reached a new and exciting level of depression not experienced at that intensity in many years. (When you start considering slitting your wrists and letting someone find you dead as a form of revenge, you know something's gone horribly awry with your coping mechanisms.) The primary factor in this new state has been my new housing situation, which was the 100-pound straw that broke the camel's back of my stress management. My roommate and I are not a good match, and it makes home dreadfully uncomfortable for me and totally messes with my place of peace, I didn't know how to handle it at all. My therapist was telling me to engage, be open about how I felt, work it out by talking through it despite my natural preference for non-verbal communication. I felt like God was also telling me that I needed to come up with a new way to handle this conflict, because my current ways of dealing with it were not helping the situation. I think both God and my therapist are going to be very disappointed in me.
I spent a couple of days trying to figure out how to engage and work it out, and then I chose an alternate route - disengage as completely as possible. I don't really talk to my roommate anymore, I avoid being in the common areas with her as little as possible ... and if I can, I prefer not to be at home while she's here and awake. It's a little tricky to manage, but my work and events schedule helps out tremendously; on the weekends, it's a little more dicey, but manageable. I do think it has reduced what little cooking I was starting to do to almost non-existent, but it's not like I was that much of a cook to begin with. I like foods that require minimal prep time before consumption.
Perhaps some would argue that this was the immature, cowardly way out. They might be right. I guess I felt like I was faced with a choice: keep trying to deal with this problem and spend the rest of a month crying, or pick the option that gave me at least space, if not peace. Others might argue that those options don't really factor in the power of the Lord to help me through this, and that if I had more faith who knows what I might have discovered about how this would work out. They might also be right; I certainly feel like, if I had been a better Christian and a better person, I would have been able to find the truly positive, healing resolution. Unfortunately, I'm just me ... and try as I might to pray while I was crying, I guess I wasn't doing it right, because no help seemed to come. A friend today told me I was wise to know my limits and not try to do more than I'm able. I'd like to believe her, and not have to feel guilty for not being whatever it is I feel like I ought to have been.
This has been a real faith trial for me, in a year or more of real faith trials. I really feel like I need the Lord to show or give me a bit more to get through this, because I don't have any idea where He is or what He's asking me or how on earth He expects me to get through all of this stuff in one piece. I might be overly demanding, since He's the Lord of the universe and has already given me everything good that ever happened to me ... but He keeps asking me to hold on to things that I can't see or feel and that are totally intangible in my life, and I know I'm part spirit but I'm also part physical matter and I'm tired and I'm lonely and I'm sensory and I feel like He doesn't even care about that. And then it all makes me ask what or why I bother believing - and that scares the crap out of me, because even though I'm having a pretty rough time with God these days, without Him, what's the point?

3 comments:
One of the lessons I have been learning over the last few years is that I need to do whatever-it-is up to my capacity. But not beyond. And whatever someone else's capacity may be is extremely irrelevant. I do what I can do. Period.
You know that old story of the guy hanging onto a branch dangling over a ravine? He yells "Is anybody up there? Someone save me!" and a big booming voice answers "I am God and I will save you. Let go of the branch." Pause. "Is anyone else there???"
Well, no, not quite. I much prefer another telling of that story with a different ending. "I am God and I will save you. Let go of the branch." Pause. "But I can't do that!"
"OK. Then I will wait right here beside you, and I will strengthen your grip, until your heart is ready."
You can do what you can do, and if you just can't do the open and mature conversation right now then you just can't. You'll get there at some point but in the interim give yourself a break.
In one of my Leviticus posts, a commentator told me to do what I can do and in the process be gentle and reasonable with myself as God certainly is! I must say I had forgotten that, but my commentator was absolutely right.
Be gentle and reasonable with yourself, as God certainly is. A bruised reed he will not break and a smouldering wick he will not quench.
And, now that you've decided that space is what's healthiest for you, don't beat yourself up over the decision. Embrace it--you're doing what's best for you under trying circumstances.
oh, and that new-and-improved story is courtesy of Pastor Cheryl (don't remember her last name, alas), St. Timothy-in-the-Valley Episcopal Church, Hurricane West Virginia
Post a Comment