And so it begins:
I discovered 5 years ago that I actually really dig class reunions. After sneaking into my 5-year college event at the last minute so that I could hang out with my friends who were in town, I found myself having a really good time catching up with all these folks I hadn't seen in ages; plus, Very Prestigious Local University knows how to throw events in style, and they always feed me well. I liked it so much that it convinced me to attend my 10-year high school event the year after, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. So when the 10-year college event announcements started popping up last year, I had no doubt that I would attend.
And so today on an internet break at work, I decided to look at the registration form for the reunion. I checked out the prices - a little expensive, but I figure since I didn't really pay for the last one, I could afford to pay for this one. And then I was looking at all these little boxes next to the prices, and I realized that they were for putting down the number of attendees. That's when it hit me - I'm going to be attending my 10-year reunion childless, spouseless, and at present, dateless. I wasn't quite sure if I had a strong enough sense of myself to spend an entire weekend alone while hobnobbing with the spouses and families of my peers.
Thus was born Project Reunion, the campaign to get me a date for my reunion event. I don't make enough money to go The Wedding Date route and hire a man for the weekend, and I don't think I'm quite that desperate. (We'll just be glad that my relative poverty keeps me from being able to find out.) If push comes to shove, my lovely former roommate has volunteered to be my spouse for a limited time (it's MA, so you can do those things - and because we're both residents of the Commonwealth, we can even get divorced later if need be). Sadly, she said she won't put out even though I'm going to be paying for her ... but there's an open bar, so I'm betting she'll be open to persuasion after a few hours.
Of course, I'm not really inclined that way either, so we both decided it'd be better to find a guy for me to go with. But who? My dating prospects have been few and far between, and as I look at the roster of my male friends, I'm not sure I can identify the right man for the job. (If any of my male friends are reading this and want to dispute that, feel free!) So, I'm looking for a strategy that I can put in motion over the next month, to have me a date well-secured by the end of May. Any suggestions from my readers?
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Project Reunion:
Hold auditions for potential dates in multiple major cities.
Require applicants to bring head shots/portfolio of dating history/evidence of ability to banter wittily during cocktails/breadth of knowledge about topics studied at Very Prestigious University (quantum physics, Derrida, Byzantine iconography).
Narrow it down to ten, and then make contestants undergo silly and/or humiliating trials, possibly involving bug-eating or making couture dresses from aluminum foil. Eliminate them gradually, perhaps with some light text-messaging help from your friends. This may take longer than a month, but keep it in mind for your fifteenth reunion, at least.
(Or...ad on dating site of choice saying, "Anyone want a free meal at VPU?"and then screen replies for aforementioned criteria.)
This suggestion is brilliant, and I am so putting it into place for my 15th HS reunion. Love it! Also, I totally promise to wear the winner's dress on the red carpet at my next high-fashion event. (Posh Spice, look out!)
Robin is indeed brilliant.
But in case you cannot pull off the multistate auditions over the course of the next month, let me reassure you that plenty of your classmates won't have spouses and children yet. Many of them will, but graduates of Highly Prestigous Universities tend to get married later than average. At my high school reunions I am one of the few singletons. At college reunions (not Highly Prestigous University but we do all right) it is much more typical. Work this demographic trend to your advantage, girl!
Anyway, your classmates don't want to catch up with your significant other, they want to catch up with you! At my five-year reunion, one of my friends came with her fiance in tow. Problem is, he (generally a very good guy) is one of the more introverted people on the planet and was overwhelmed by All These Strange People. So instead of hanging out with us, she spent a whole lot of time rollerblading with him, alone. Taking a walk with him, alone, etc. This was no good at all. We were not favorably impressed. Far better to go as a singleton!
Good call! I briefly considered working the "find-a-date-at-reunion" angle, but clearly I hadn't given it due thought. I think this might be the trend for me, though, because it gives me far more choice than having to pick someone now. :-)
ooh, yes! Find a date at reunion. Even better. A chance to snag the one that got away. (No, NOT that one, a different one.) :)
Post a Comment