Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Boston, lots; New York City, at least 2

So I was in NYC earlier today for a last-minute, 24-hour business trip. (Not recommended.) And while I was dismayed to find the occasional newspaper and bumper sticker reminders of the sad sporting event that I'm still not totally over, I think I have to give some props to NYC cabs.

I'm not sure why, but I feel like I got much better value for my money riding cabs this past days around New York than I ever do when I ride in Boston. Generally, I'm not a New York cab taker, given that they have a fine subway, but it was sleeting/raining and I was rushing around the whole day, so it was an exception to my typical travel pattern. I should note that I have no good concept of distance; that said, it seemed like my $5-10 for a cab ride took me further than it usually does in Boston. And even if the cost/distance ratio was the same or worse, I definitely got more for my ride - back seat entertainment, including TV excerpts and a map to see where we were; a listing of my rights as a cab rider; and the ability to pay by credit card and get a metered receipt (two of my rights as a rider, in fact). Plus, no one was driving like they were trying to kill me - unlike the driver on my way home from South Station, who clearly thought he was in a game of Crazy Taxi.

So, although, I usually never give away points in the Boston-NYC feud, I have to say that their cabs - much like the Giants - whoop our cabs, hands down.

No comments: