Is it enough if a thought or concept is new to me? Am I able to lend some flavor of my own to its discovery and discussion that makes my contribution worthwhile? Do I have any of that true creative genius that makes something original, to be a first generator?
I think I sound like an architecture student always trying to come us with some new form, pursuing newness for its own sake. I've always thought that was generally silly, and that it was enough to just do something of excellent caliber that really suits the purpose, even if you're not the first to do it. But for some reason, lately I've been understanding the pressure of originality.
Perhaps all of us are being original, when we put something together in a way that comes specifically from who we are, no matter whether it is similar to what has come before. Or maybe we all copy, building on and borrowing from each other. Are those things really mutually exclusive?

1 comment:
I love this post. Perhaps the genius is not in saying something "new" (after how many years of history and how many people have gone before?) but in saying it in a way that goes cleanly, incisively to the heart of the matter - the way you do, here.
Post a Comment