Monday, February 23, 2009

Brandy's Oscar Blog

OK, so here's my running commentary on Oscar night, for anyone who cares ... I just don't want to be updating my Facebook status every 5 minutes:

7:37
  • Bouncing back and forth between Barbara Walters and the E! Red Carpet special. I don't know why I'm watching Barbara Walters, because I hate the way she interviews people; but I'm curious about the people she's interviewing.
  • Great dresses: Anne Hathaway, Beyonce, Marion Cotilliard.
  • Diane Lane and Josh Brolin ... huh. Didn't know that.
  • Man, wish I had PIP! That would make this so much easier.

7:42
  • Oh, yeah, Oscar movies I haven't seen but want to: Frost/Nixon, Tropic Thunder (on the Blockbuster list, coming soon), Changeling, The Reader, Man on Wire (on top of the DVR waiting to be watched as we speak). Things I feel like I should see, even if I'm not super-enthused about it: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Doubt, Milk.
  • I don't love Kate Winslet's whole dress, but she looks great from the waist up.
  • Aha, the arrival of Brangelina!! Her dress is so-so.
  • Apparently, white/cream is the color today, at least according to Jay what's-his-name from Top Model. But I have no idea why he likes Jessica Biel's dress ... uck.

7:55
  • Ooh, just 5 minutes to the official Red Carpet Special! Hmm ... have I recovered enough to start watching Dancing with the Stars again? Maybe. I'm also very interested in this Castle thing.
  • What, Hugh Jackman is giving Barbara Walters a lap dance on network TV? My eyes, my eyes!!

8:00
  • OK, now it's all ABC all the time. Taraji P. Henson is so cute! And really, Kate Winslet is just gorgeous.
  • Diane Lane is adorable with her husband.
  • Amy Adams: great dress, needs a better hairstylist to show off that gorgeous red mane.
  • I don't think Matthew Broderick likes this red carpet deal; he looks kinds uncomfortable.
  • Did I mention that I love Taraji? :-)

8:05
  • Oh, other things on my to-see list: Rachel Getting Married, The Wrestler.
  • Frank Langella and his daughter - too sweet!
  • Tim Gunn, you're drooling; stop fawning all over Brangelina, it's embarrassing.

8:09
  • Julia Roberts in Valentino enjoying her Oscar ... "Whoo! I love it up here." :-)
  • WOOOOO!!! Go Slumdog Millionaire!!!!!!!! That is so awesome that they got so much of the cast there.

8:13
  • RDJ: "My date tonight? Well, she's my date for the rest of this incarnation." Love it!
  • I'm torn over Miley Cyrus's dress ... I love it and hate it at the same time.
  • Oh, it's worth noting that I have IMDb open in the next window, so I can constantly check who's dating/married to who.

8:20
  • Aw, look at the accountants! I can't imagine the security around those guys on the way here.
  • I like the parent-child teams ... Meryl Steep and daughter this time.
  • I like Penelope Cruz's dress. I also dig the little feature when they're interviewing her showing her past outfits, although I wish the pictures were slightly larger.
  • I think I'm rooting for Richard Jenkins as Lead Actor, although it's probably a long shot.
8:25
  • Wow, Seth Rogen in formal wear is kind of shocking. He looks really good, though. I wouldn't kick him out of bed ... although by boyfriend probably would! ;-) JK, sweetie.
  • Do these people creating the set and music for Oscars know that they create the longest, most over-dramatic event in the history of over-dramatic events? Also, that they have inspired terrible emulations like the AIA Convention music and set design? (Seriously, it's so awful it's ridiculous.)
8:31
  • Hugh Jackman is the sexiest man alive ... that is, among men I'm not already dating. :-) Amusingly, my boyfriend hates Hugh Jackman. I hope he's a good host; he's starting out well. And wow - what an opening number! He talks, he sings, he dances ... what can't he do? Very funny.
  • Meryl Streep is lovely; I hope I look that good at her age.
  • What was that with the curtain??
  • Ooh, I like this thing with having the formers come out to present the nomination. Although it looks a little like being welcomed to a cult by people in shadowy robes ... but the commentary is sweet, and much appreciated by the actresses.
  • OK, I am not unhappy with the first award. It's actually the only movie I saw in this category, so I guess I'm rooting for this as much as anything. But I still love Taraji! Penelope's speech was overlong, but touching.

8:54
  • See, the trouble with the Oscars is that I think it's just too big a venue for good comic timing. Even Tina Fey and Steve Martin have a hard time being funny.
  • I was actually really hoping that Wall-E would win best screenplay. Oh, well.
  • Yay, Slumdog!!
  • OK, I know everyone wants to thank everyone, but you've seen enough of these things to know that the litany of thanks is boring. You're creative people; be more creative!
  • Jen looks better than Angelina. The dress, anyway; I think she and Amy Adams had the same futzy hairdresser.
  • Aw, man, I meant to see Clone Wars! I think it's on demand now.
  • Was there ever any doubt that Wall-E would win? I mean really, the others nominated weren't even in the same league.
  • Dude, I would be so freaked out to accept a major televised award not in my native language. Go you, dude!
9:14
  • Whew, that bathroom break was a long time in coming! Do you think Oscar commercials are as expensive as Superbowl commercials?
  • You know, this might be the first time that I've ever watched the Oscars start to finish ... or as close to finish as I'll get before I bail.
  • That set behind SJP and Daniel Craig is really impressive to me for some reason; I don't know if it's any more complex than any of the others, but it feels like it.
  • Darn, I was rooting for almost any other movie except Benjamin Button for Art Direction. Of course, I haven't seen it, so maybe it really was the most fabulous. I was rooting for The Duchess, so I'm happy about that. Huh, I didn't think I really cared either way about most of these categories, but I guess I do a little.
  • I wonder if there's a timer that people can see while they're doing their thank-yous.
  • I guess if Benjamin Button was nominated for so many categories, it was bound to win some of them. I just really have something against this movie ... what is it?
  • Hi, Mamma Mia! girl. Sorry I didn't like your movie at all.
  • That was an awful lot of High School Movie 3 in that romance montage - really? Oh, I meant to see Last Chance Harvey, too! So many movies, so little time.
9:32
  • Natalie Portman looks pretty! She's not the best comedienne. Please tell me Ben Stiller will take his gum with him when he goes. Ew, he put it back in his mouth ... uck.
  • Yay 2 for Slumdog! But wait, I thought you weren't thanking anybody? Not a bad speech, though.

9:41
  • I'm watching on silent right now, because I'm on the phone with my mom; sadly, I'm missing the Seth Rogen/James Franco bit, which looks pretty funny. Might have to rewind and go watch that. I like Seth Rogen's tux much less now that I see it on stage ... James Franco is a hottie, as always.
  • I want to be the Oscar girl who guides people off the stage. She gets to wear such a pretty outfit, and meet famous people.
  • Wow, I don't have any sound on, but I can tell that guy who won the short film award was very excited.

9:53
  • Oh, Hugh Jackman is singing again and I'm missing it! Hey, with Beyonce. Show those legs, girl! I really am going to have to rewind and watch all this.

OK, I've officially decided to rewind back to what I missed, and stop blogging so I can get some work done! If something really interesting happens that I absolutely must blog about, I'll come back and add in.

10:01 (10:34 in real time)
  • Well, all those things I went back and watched were actually a little more entertaining sans sound, but still had their amusing parts. I think Hugh Jackman should host every year if he's going to spice things up with musical breaks! The musical number itself was kind of mish-mashed together, much like Moulin Rouge - which is why it's no surprise that it was composed by Baz Luhrmann.
  • Oops! That's OK, Alan Arkin. :-)
  • I can't imagine how bittersweet it must be to be Heath Ledger's family tonight.
  • I definitely want to see some of these other documentaries ... The Garden and Encounters at the End of the World look particularly interesting. Oh, but ugh, Bill Maher. I was going to give him a nice tux compliment, but I kind of don't want to.
  • I was rooting for Man on Wire - yay! Philippe Petit is so hilarious.
  • Ooh, The Witness: From the Balcony of Room 306 may also have to go on my list. Nice dress for the documentary short winner!

10:25 (10:54 in real life)
  • Is post-production really just all about things blowing up, being shot or smashing into one another? Isn't there interesting post-production in non-action films? Ah, this is one instance where I'm actually glad for the inclusion of Benjamin Button, and I don't even mind that it won.
  • Wanted was just such an awful, awful movie. I like effects and all, but that was just beyond ridiculous.
  • Are Slumdog and Benjamin Button tied now? Also, I love how overwhelmed this sound guy is; that's when the Oscars start to feel special. Ooh, and Slumdog again!! The editing really did make that movie work so well.

10:41 (11:06 in real life)
  • I never thought I'd say this about a TV show, but the Oscars don't have enough commercials! I'm barely making up any time by speeding through them on my DVR.

10:50 (11:09 in real life)
  • Catching up, slowly. Sometimes the way they shoot the title screen for these scores makes it tough to tell what film they're associated with. Oh, I hope Wall-E wins this, and the Original Song category.
  • I think there's a little too much Zac Efron in this Oscar evening.
  • OK, if Wall-E couldn't win, Slumdog was of course my next favorite. But I still wish it had gone the other way.
  • I love big drums!! And John Legend! And I forgot just how much I loved this song. I do wish they'd let them perform the whole thing. Seriously, big drums are dance and music all in one; so awesome. Ooh, I do kind of like the medley of these songs, much better than the musical thing.
  • Darn! I think Wall-E got robbed, even if it was by one of my other favorite movies.

11:06 (11:23 in real life)
  • Also added to the list: The Class.
  • I like it when Queen Latifah sings. I'd forgotten that Bernie Mac and Michael Crichton had died. And Roy Scheider! And Ricardo Montalban!! Was I just not paying attention? Charlton Heston, Anthony Minghella ... I can't list them any more. Ah, I was wondering who would get to close the dead Oscar montage; Paul Newman, of course.

11:19 (11:32 in real life)
  • Reese Witherspoon's dress is another one of those that that I start to like, and then I start to hate right after that.
  • Hmm, will Best Director predict Best Picture? I like the Tigger bit, and Danny Boyle is clearly just so happy. His kids are cute. D'oh! That's not good, to forget someone in your movie credits.
  • OK, onto the big three!! I have no preference on Best Actress. Oh, man, but Halle Berry was so good in Monster's Ball. I have to watch that again real soon, even thought it's such a tough movie.
  • Sophia Loren looks a little overbrowned, I have to say. I'm also not sure about Halle Berry's dress. But whatever; I think it would be just so amazing to be spoken to by one of these women about my accomplishments.
  • I'm sure Angelina Jolie's jewelry is actually incredibly expensive; but it's so big it looks like costume jewelry. The color contrast is truly striking, nonetheless.
  • OK, actually, I did have a favorite - hooray for Kate Winslet! Wow, I just started to cry at that shampoo bottle thing. And her dad ... aw. I think Best Actress speeches might be my favorite.
  • Oh, except for Adrien Brody - ha! Nice quote. Robert DeNiro was such a hottie in his day ... and I think this Best Actor crew is like a selection of the best highlights from my favorite actors. How awesome. Adrien Brody needs to cut (and comb!) his hair, and Ben Kingsley rocks.
  • Who wins, who wins? I dig Sean Penn; I can totally get behind that. What a perfect shot of his wife's face at that moment! I'm not a big fan of these political speeches at the Oscars, but it was unavoidable given this movie.
  • It's sweet how pleased everyone is at Mickey Rourke's comeback; it must be nice to feel that your community is behind you like that.
11:48 (11:59 in real time)
  • Just 10 minutes behind time, it's time for the big one! My vote in order: Slumdog, The Reader, Milk, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button. And I win! Well, technically, they win, but whatever. :-) It's so great that the whole cast they brought is up there; what a perfect ending to this show.

And that's it, boys and girls; I'm calling it a night. Good job, Hugh Jackman! I clearly got no work done, but I did enjoy myself. We'll pay the price for that tomorrow ... I mean, later today! :-o

No comments: