Sunday, November 23, 2008

Decalring your love on Facebook

So I was having a conversation at an alumni reception about Facebook relationship status changes; a fellow alum and new Facebook friend was telling me the story of how, once he joined the site, his longtime girlfriend decided to "declare their love to the world" by changing her relationship status and indicating they were dating each other. (He also delighted in the sense of power that he had in having to accept her status change linking them before it could officially be made.) We were laughing at how big a deal that is in the Facebook world; since we all use it to keep up on every minute detail of one another's lives through status updates, a relationship change always prompts questions and wall comments.

I've been wondering about changing my status for a while now; I didn't know if "the guy I'm seeing" and I were ready to announce our relationship so publicly. But since we decided in a recent conversation that, after passing the 3-month mark last week, we've reached the boyfriend/girlfriend stage of things, the question has been rambling around in my head again this weekend. It's pretty funny: I'm less concerned about the actual shift in our relationship label - which honestly doesn't change our relationship at all, so it's funny that it's such a big deal with me and somehow makes me feel more secure - than the announcement on a social networking site - which matter even less than the new label. I'm kind of a doofus.

Anyway, I think I'm going to test it out, and see what happens. It's kind of exciting! But truly, the most exciting news is that after 2 years, I finally have a nice, sweet, sexy, funny, smart, cute, awesome boyfriend who I really like. :-) Woohoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!