Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ode to an 8125

This week, I finally decided that I couldn't take my G1 anymore - it's just not ready for users with my needs. So I turned it in, and I ordered a Blackberry Curve based on the recommendation of a friend. The Curve is nice and all, but in the end, it still can't match all the things I loved about my 8125. The synchronization of my information; ability to read documents, play music, take photos and video, play games; the large touch screen - with stylus! - that made using the phone so easy; and of course, the full keyboard that was the #1 most lovable, useful feature of my phone. The HTC series - of which both my 8125 and the G1 are part - is my favorite style of phone because of that keyboard; up until the G1, the others ran on various Windows Mobile platforms that made integration with my computer a no-brainer. Now that my 8125 broke, I'm scrambling for a replacement, and not able to get anything that really meets my needs as well as it did. My best option was probably the AT&T Tilt I had attempted to purchase on eBay ... but we all know how that turned out.

Anyway, all of this hassle just makes me miss my old phone more and more; I already loved and raved about it before, but I don't think I appreciated how truly incomparable it was. I think my new Blackberry will do, but I have a feeling I might be trying to get back to a tried and true HTC model at my next opportunity. Heck, maybe I should just go buy another 8125; it may be older and bulkier than the newbies, but at least I know it works, and it's probably even cheaper now than it was when I purchased it.

8125, oh 8125! Our time together was too short.

No comments: