Friday, July 04, 2008

Independent Reflections

My favorite part of any fireworks show is the end, where they take everything that's left on the barge and light it up. :-) Happy 4th, everybody!

I did not attend any festivities today ... we stayed home from the beach because we were afraid of the rain that's been plaguing the area all week. All in all, I didn't mind, because it gave me a chance to continue packing and planning with my sisters for the great American road trip - departing in a mere 4 days!! Do you know how hard it is to find a camping generator?? Ridiculous.

I also crashed out in the late afternoon, because I've been pretty tired for the past few weeks. When I woke up, I was happy to continue packing; that is, until I heard the F-14s flyover and a sentimental mist of missing the 4th washed over me. So I started watching the Pops concert on TV, the first time I think I've done that since living here. It wasn't quite as good as being there, but it let me get into the spirit.

I did bust out to the top of our local hill for the fireworks at the end of the 1812 Overture - but it's just not the same without the music. So faced with the choice of live visual with no audio or broadcast audio and visual, I chose the later; and while there were a few bursts that I would have loved to see in the open air, I think I made the right choice overall. Next year, however, I think I need to be back on the Esplanade where I belong, even if I have to be by myself with my blanket, my snacks, and my definitely-not-alcoholic-no-sir-officer beverages.

I did pause for a moment of thought in the midst of the explosions when this country song, "American Soldier," came on. The lyrics are basically this soldier talking about how he's willing to do his duty, serve his country and die if needed to defend our country and our liberty. It's an honorable sentiment that few of us can truly echo in our actions - which makes it so important that we only put our soldiers' lives in danger for the most just of causes. Freedom is not free, as the currently popular saying goes; it's very expensive for the people we send to fight, and those doing the sending need to count that cost extremely dear when they are making their decisions.

And now to close out the evening, I leave you with my song of the day, in honor of both Jonathan Papelbon, who can dance a pants-less jig for me anytime, and the movie that made it famous, which I am about to watch. Beware of wrist violence!!

No comments: