An email from my ex started the collapse, as it caused me to reflect on all the pain and confusion that I am still carrying around from that relationship. Then it moved on to more general issues of loneliness, spiritual dryness, lack of purpose, abandonment by God, and utter confusion about where my life is heading. And I kept saying to myself, "I just want the world to stop for a week, so I can figure all of this out. Why can't everything just stop?" When you're imagining opportunities for hospitalization just so you can get some peace and quiet, that's likely a signal that something is amiss.
And then I guess I finally realized - the only way to take a break was for me to take it, responsibilities and pressures be damned. So I canceled the rest of my week, wrote an email to my friends and family announcing Stage 1 of my nervous breakdown, and wrote a less tongue-in-cheek email to my employers informing them of my mental health issues and need for some periods of rest immediately and in the upcoming weeks.
Two amazing things happened:
- Contrary to my general mistrust of people, when folks were informed of my distress, they were both supportive and generally appreciative that I shared. That's more to be expected of my family and friends (although my trust issues tell me you never quite know with anyone); but the real surprise was how supportive and accepting my employers were. I was pretty worried that I'd get some reactions of, "Hey, do we really want this crazy lady at the helm of our company?" Instead, there was a lot of understanding and a real desire to make sure that, first priority, I got well. The positive calls and emails were a balm to my spirit.
- The break actually worked! While I am not at all fully recovered from the major depressive episode in which I've been for several months, I did see my therapist for the first time since March; see my chiropractor for the first time in 2 months; have a wonderful time of social interaction and good conversation with family and friends; find a potential source of supplemental income for the new year; and finally get it together to begin a real search for a roommate. This last is a particular sign of progress ... I have been so overwhelmed and distressed for the past 3 months that I couldn't even handle the thought of addressing my housing situation, despite the looming financial issues that not searching would cause for me and my landlords (who are fabulous and don't deserve to suffer for my crazy).
Also, on the subject of my wonderful landlords, they invited me up for a great little dinner with some other friends this evening, and it was just a really nice time getting together with them. It's nice having a little family away from my family, so I don't feel so alone up here. Which reminds me that I need to stop saying that I'm all alone; while my friends may not be live-in, blood relatives, or life partners, I have a pretty darn good network of support, and I need to both recognize and use it more often.

2 comments:
Sorry to hear about these tough trials. I hope and pray for the best for you. Stay close to Jesus.
Thanks! It's been a strange month, but mostly a healing one. Things continue to sort themselves out, and I am hopeful.
Post a Comment