My new roommate is awesome!!!
That may seem like a premature announcement a mere 3 days into our house-sharing, but he's seriously such a sweet, friendly guy, and we all (me, my landlords, my boyfriend) love having him here.
What's funny is that we didn't meet in person before agreeing to live together; he was overseas right up until the day he was here in the States. But what got me was his initial email in response to my post; as I told him when we Skyped, it was the email I would have written to myself to prove that I was an honest, reputable, non-scammer making a legitimate move to another country for work. References, verifiable details, good grammar (you have no idea how much that counts in an online exchange) ... I know that might sound like a strange set of reasons to really get enthusiastic about an email, or to feel like you could trust the person behind it. But I just got this great feeling that overwhelmed my hesitations about the distance and the short sublease term. Our chat online kept that good feeling going, as did meeting his labmates at MIT who came over to video the apartment for him. Combined with his quick response to providing documents and exchanging info to set up our arrangement, I felt like I had finally found the right one.
That feeling has definitely been borne out by these few days; and while I know we'll get to know each other's ups and downs as the next several weeks progress, I feel really blessed to have found him. Here's hoping his lab keeps him on through the winter and spring!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment