Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Healthy Lifestyle Update #1

Thank you to those who have asked how this is going! As a reminder, here were the resolutions:
  1. I'm just not allowed to go to McDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King. Seriously.
  2. I'm also not allowed to drink soda. Water, tea, or real juice ... oh, plus alcohol. ;-)
  3. In good weather, I should try to walk home from work 2-3 times a week; in less amenable weather, I should at least walk home from Central Square that many times a week.
  4. I should take the stairs up to my office when I first come in, and always take the stairs down.
  5. I need to go grocery shopping every week, to buy the following for the week ahead: cereal and milk for breakfast; bread and lean meats for lunch; fruits and nuts for snacks; some sort of green vegetables and some sort of grain (rice, corn, something) for dinner.
Here's the report so far:
  1. I fell off the wagon on the McDonald's thing while I was traveling last week ... although I generally did pretty well bringing my own healthier food along with me when I was going back and forth, or purchasing good food when I didn't have my own, I had a carbs craving while in the DC Amtrak station heading back to Boston, and Starbucks had no blueberry muffins. You wouldn't think that means the next option is automatically french fries, but sadly, it did.
  2. So far, no soda ... I think it's been all water, tea and juice, as far as I can recall.
  3. The travel schedule kind of threw this out of whack, since I was rushing around with luggage a lot; however, I did walk home last night, and I've done it a couple other times. I'm working on getting more consistent now that I'm back at home for a good long while.
  4. I've been really good about this! There was one day when I missed going up stairs, and today I was with a friend who took the elevator down, but otherwise, I'm huffing up those 5 flights every time I come into the office. I'm also trying to take the stairs as much as possible in other places such as the subway.
  5. The next few weeks will be the test of this one; I did go shopping the week before last week's crazy travel, and I have to do it again tonight for this week. But since I went shopping that last time, I've had enough food that I really only ate out once. That might not sound like such a big deal, but it's a big improvement over the pattern of eating out 3 or 4 times a week that I was on at the beginning of the month.
I appreciate the accountability; please keep checking in!!

No comments: